top of page


There are two paths to getting authority approvals


The state government bought in a fast track process in 2008. If your proposed works ticks all the NSW State Government set of rules – known as “Exempt & Complying Development”  – if we can tick all the boxes for: zone, size of lot, floor areas, landscape areas, side setbacks, rear setbacks, front setbacks, heights limits. Southworth Architects can explain if your brief will or won't comply. Architectural drawings, Structural Engineer drawings, builders insurances and other requirements dependent on your site. All is submitted to either the Council's Certification department or a Private Certifier (PCA). Upon the certifier issuing a Complying Development Certificate, then a builder or an owner builder can begin building. If your development doesn’t comply with the controls for Complying Development.  A Development Application (DA) through council & a Construction Certificate (CC) is then required. 


If works can't be complying development. Approval is required by your local council. For the smoothest path through council it is best to comply with their controls, known as the LEP & DCP controls. For a particular zone the site is situated in. there are controls for the maximum area of flooring, maximum height limits, minimum landscape areas, minimum front setbacks, side setbacks, rear setbacks, which are slightly different to Complying Development controls and depending the council. This can be explained by requesting a site assessment of your site. For a DA scaled architectural drawings are required as well as other reports depending on the site's constraints, be it bushfire, flood, geotechnical. Council assesses the proposal, neighbours are notified. If neighbours & council have no issues with your proposal, and everything complies with the LEP & DCP, council should approve your proposal easily. Southworth Architect can organise all the information required for the DA and liaise with council on your behalf.

CC submission

After council approval council will provide 'Conditions of Consent'. A construction certificate is then required to start building. This involves preparation of more detailed drawings, Structural Engineer drawings if necessary and any other requirements of the 'Conditions of Consent'. Other requirements of the CC for example include: builders insurances, payment of long service levy, S94 council fees.  Either Council's Certification department or a Private Certifier (PCA) can issue a Construction Certificate (CC), then a builder can begin building. Southworth Architect can organise all the information required for the CC. 

bottom of page